• Home
  • Financial Aid
  • Travel Awards

Graduate Travel Awards

The department’s Mabel Jensen Fund provides funding to support graduate students who: (a) plan to present a research paper at a professional conference, workshop, etc., or (b) plan to attend an annual meeting of the American Academy of Religion, or comparable professional meeting, for the specific purpose of consulting with faculty in Ph.D. programs to which one intends to apply. Students must submit a Conference Travel Funding Application to be considered. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and award amounts vary depending on the number of applications received and the availability of funds.APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE YOU TRAVEL, in order to process authorization forms with the College.

Applications for support to present a paper at a professional conference, workshop, etc., should include the following materials:

The name, location, and dates of the conference
The paper title and abstract as submitted. Final approval for awards is contingent upon the paper having been officially accepted for presentation. 
An estimate of travel and lodging costs

Applications for support to attend the AAR, or comparable national meeting, for the purpose of investigating prospective Ph.D. programs should include:

A statement of intention
A list of individuals (and institutions) with whom one plans to consult
A note of endorsement from one’s department advisor.

Eligibility for this type of support is limited to M.A. students in their second year or beyond.

Funding will be determined on the basis of money available and the projected number of applicants. The funds will be disbursed after the event, in the form of reimbursement for expenses incurred.  Receipts must be provided.

Please submit application materials, by email attachment, to Patricia Cecil (pbcecil@ku.edu), cc to Professor Stevenson, dbsteve@ku.edu, with the header:  Graduate Student Conference Travel Application.

If you are applying for travel money from the Department of Religious Studies, you should also apply for financial support through the KU Office of Research and Graduate Studies. Additional financial support for conference attendance is available to graduate students through the Graduate Scholarly Presentation Travel Fund administered by that office.

For more information please contact Patricia Cecil, pbcecil@ku.edu or 785-864-4341.


RS undergrads! Keep this in mind while working on projects this semester -- your paper could be published in the U… https://t.co/CUCtPJ8bug