What to Expect: Fall 2020 in the Moore Reading Room
This page contains information about Moore Reading Room services and resources that will be available during the fall 2020 semester. [Updated August 24, 2020]
Welcoming You Safely
These modifications have been driven first and foremost by safety protocol in accordance with university recommendations.
The Moore Reading Room may look and feel different than before:
- As in all campus locations, face coverings will be required.
- As you arrive in Smith Hall, you will be required to verify your health status at the entrance kiosk, scanning a code from your CVKey app assessment, or by completing a paper form.
- Please respect navigational direction, particularly around stairwells and access points, intended to reduce congestion and risk of any transmission.
- Capacity for study tables and computer workstations has been considerably reduced to support social distancing requirements.
- In alignment with campus cleaning protocol, our spaces will be disinfected with greater regularity. Supplies will be available so that users can clean spaces before each use.
Additional details about our spaces, resources and support for advancing teaching and research needs are detailed below.
The Moore Reading Room will open to patrons on August 24, 2020. Visit our hours site to learn more about fall operation hours.
You can access our computer workstations.
Computers are available for walk-in use, though capacity has been reduced so that workstations are appropriately spaced to support social distancing. Many popular campus lab software applications are also available remotely via Virtual Lab.
Stacks will be closed.
Users will not be allowed to access or browse physical collections housed in the MRR stacks, but KU students, faculty, and staff may request specific items to be pulled for pick-up through our Retrieve From Shelf process.
You are welcome to enjoy beverages in our spaces, but not food.
You may bring your own beverages into the MRR where allowed; however, in the interests of maximizing use of face coverings and overall cleanliness, we ask that food not be consumed in the MRR this fall.
You can access MRR collection materials through a number of channels. Digital resources are readily available. Although library stacks are closed to browsing, you can still access items from our collections in a variety of ways:
- You can request library materials through our Retrieve From Shelf process, then pick them up at the MRR front desk.
- Once returned, physical materials will be quarantined for 96 hours before processing.
- Many books from our collections are temporarily available online through the HathiTrust Digital Library's Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS).
- Please suggest a purchase to inquire about additional online access to resources.
- Returns for materials checked out prior to March 6, 2020 are now being accepted via the front desk, on-site book drop, and mail or delivery service as described in returning library materials.
Course reserves will look different.
Physical course reserves will not be offered during the fall semester; faculty and students should use Watson Library to request and check out digital course reserves.
Research support will be at your fingertips.
If you have feedback, please share that with us here.