Eligibility criteria for admission to the graduate certificate program follow Graduate Studies' admission policy. Non-native speakers of English must meet English proficiency requirements as described here: http://graduate.ku.edu/english-proficiency-requirements.
A Bachelor's degree in Religious Studies is not required for admission, but the department expects applicants to show on their transcripts exposure to the humanities and social sciences.
Current KU Graduate Students
Current graduate students wishing to enroll in the Graduate Certificate program will apply through Graduate Studies. Students must be in good standing with their graduate degree program in order to participate in the certificate program. A graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for admission. The application process entails completing the online application, paying the application fee, and submitting materials required for the Religious Studies Certificate:
1. A letter stating your interest in Religious Studies and its relationship to your graduate course of study;
2. A copy of your official KU transcript, along with copies of transcripts from any other institutions where coursework was completed after starting a degree-seeking program at KU;
3. A letter of support from your graduate degree program.
Prospective students not currently enrolled in a KU graduate program must complete an application to Graduate Studies for admission into the certificate program and submit an application fee along with the following materials:
1. A letter stating your interest in the Religious Studies Certificate Program;
2. Copies of all official undergraduate and graduate transcripts;
3. 2 letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work or potential for graduate study.
KU’s Graduate Studies page on How to Apply is a resource for application-related logistical questions. For additional questions regarding program requirements and application processes, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Jackie Brinton. Applicants may also contact the department directly:
The University of Kansas
Department of Religious Studies
Smith Hall, Room 109A
1300 Oread Ave. | Lawrence, KS 66045
785-864-4341 | firstname.lastname@example.org